1. You may already know why it is important that old cell phones (should) be recycled.
2. It is necessary that every citizen (should) be informed of the new health care policy.
3. It is crucial that I (should) get on this train or I won’t be able to get home.
Rewrite each sentence by using Pattern I and the words in parentheses. The first one has been done for you.
1. You should take off your hat and shoes before entering a mosque. (necessary)
èIt is necessary that you (should) take off your hat and shoes before entering a mosque.
2. We should apply for a passport before going abroad. (essential)
è It is essential that we (should) apply for a passport before going abroad.
3. Everyone should have a balanced diet. (important)
è It is important that everyone (should) have a balanced diet.
4. You should call 119 when you see someone seriously injured. (important)
è It is important that you (should) call 119 when you see someone seriously injured.
5. Michael’s flights should arrive and depart as scheduled because he wants to get there on time. (crucial)
è It is crucial that Michael’s flights (should) arrive and depart as scheduled because he wants to get there on time.
Complete the following paragraph by using Pattern I ad the words in parentheses. The first one has been done for you.
Running a successful restaurant is never easy. 1It is necessary that a restaurant owner (should) take everything into consideration (necessary/a restaurant owner/take everything into consideration). Take Bobby, an owner of a celebrated seafood restaurant, for example. 2 It is vital that all his seafood (should) be fresh or alive (vital/all his seafood/fresh or alive). Besides, he is very particular about choosing his employees. For example, 3 it is important that his chef (should) know how to cook gourmet seafood (important/his chef/know how to cook gourmet seafood). Serving only good food is not enough for Bobby. He insists on providing good service, too. 4 It is crucial that all his servers (should) be polite and helpful (crucial/all his servers/polite and helpful). When it comes to sanitation issues, 5 it is essential that each of his dining tables (should) be kept clean and neat (essential/each of his dining tables/keep clean and neat).
1. Not only does it pollute the environment, but it (also) endangers the survival of a species somewhere on our planet.
2. Not only is The Da Vinci Code a popular movie, but it is (also) a best-selling novel.
3. Not only can Maya speak good Chinese, but she is (also) familiar with Chinese cuisine.
Rewrite each sentence by using Pattern II. The first one has been done for you.
has many beautiful beaches and it is a good place for retirees. Miami
èNot only does
have many beautiful beaches, but it is (also) a good place for retirees. Miami
2. My dog can swim and catch a Frisbee.
è Not only can my dog swim, but it can (also) catch a Frisbee.
3. Andy was late for his date, and he also forgot his girlfriend’s birthday gift.
è Not only was Andy late for his date, but he (also) forgot his girlfriend’s birthday gift.
4. Madame Rosa enjoys listening to classical music. She also likes to sing opera.
è Not only does Madame Rosa enjoy listening to classical music, but she (also) likes to sing opera.
5. The shopkeeper made a mistake, but he refused to apologize.
è Not only did the shopkeeper make a mistake, but he (also) refused to apologize.
Complete the following paragraph by using Pattern II and the words in parentheses. The first one has been done for you.
Smartphones like the iPhone are very popular nowadays. 1Not only do these phones look trendy, but they are (also) multifunctional (these phones/look trendy; they/multifunctional). People can use them not only to make ordinary phone calls but also to get on the Internet. With access to the Internet, 2 not only can these phones send and receive e-mails, but they can (also) download useful applications (these phones/can send and receive e-mails; they/can download useful applications). After installing certain applications, people can play games or read electronic books. That is to say, 3 not only do these phones serve as an entertainment platform, but they can (also) be a reading device (these phones/serve as an entertainment platform; they/can be a reading device). Besides, most of the smartphones can be used as cameras. People can use them to take photos or videos and then upload whatever they’ve taken to some social networking websites. In a sense, 4 not only do smartphones help record people’s lives, but they (also) connect people from all over the world (smartphones/help record people’s lives; they/connect people from all over the world).