503 L9 sentence patterns practice
2. The superstar showed up from behind the curtain.
Her fans were moved to tears.
èThe superstar showed up from behind the curtain, her fans moved to tears.
3. Michelle talked about her miserable experience.
Tears rolled down her cheeks.
about her miserable experience, tears rolling down her cheeks. Mich
4. The Titanic turned sideways and began to sink.
Passengers fell and jumped into the water.
èThe Titanic turned sideways and began to sink, passengers falling and jumping into the water.
5. The waitress tripped over a customer’s foot.
The plates fell and broke into pieces.
èThe waitress tripped over a customer’s foot, the plates falling and
king into pieces. brea
Read the following story. Complete the sentences by using Patter I and the words in parentheses.
One peaceful afternoon in a small town, a middle-aged man walked into a bank. He looked quite nervous, 1his hands searching his pockets for something (hands/search his pockets for something). One of the tellers noticed him approaching and asked, “How can I help you, sir?” Suddenly
Desperate, the man jumped over the counter as she told him this, 4his gun dropping to the floor (gun/drop to the floor).
As he rushed to pick up the gun, the teller pressed the alarm bell. In a minute, the police came and arrested him, 5no harm done (no harm/do).
2. Even though they came in first last year, it is impossible to know whether they will win again this year.
èEven though they came in first last year, there is no knowing whether they will win again this year.
3. It is impossible to deny that human activities are the main cause of global warming.
èThere is no denying that human activities are the main cause of global warming.
4. It is impossible to predict how the matter will end.
èThere is no predicting how the matter will end.
5. All the evidence is against him. It is impossible to deny that he is guilty.
èAll the evidence is against him. There is no denying that he is guilty.