1. is no stranger to pop music
2. at an unprecedented rate
3. translates into higher salary
4. Compared to my old cell phone
5. This typhoon was responsible for
6. in turn, has led to
7. pose a great threat to
8. drew attention to
1. (a) I could not have finished the journey
(b) But for the heavy rain, we would be singing and dancing in our school performance.
2. (a) that you turned off the computer/for you to turn off the computer
(b) It is high time that we said goodbye to each other/for us to say goodbye to each other.
3. (a) is neither tall nor short
(b) My father neither smokes nor drinks.
(c) is not only rich but also generous
4. (a) Has it ever occurred to you
(b) By the time we arrived, the climbers had been rescued.
5. (a) made it clear that
(b) Sam made it clear that he would emigrate to
6. (a) is not a blessing but a disaster
(b) These victims did not live in houses but in tents.
7. (a) Only when you admit your mistake
(b) Only at home can I feel warm and secure.
1. A 2. D 3. A 4. D 5. D
6. D 7. C 8. B 9. B 10. C
11. B 12. D 13. D 14. A 15. C
1. Neither, nor, is
2. Compared, to
3. have, already, spent
4. But, for, would, not, have
5. It, is, high, time, did
1. Neither my parents nor I had ever seen such a scene.
2. Compared to these little creatures, the computer games I used to play mean nothing to me.
3. It’s high time that you said goodnight to your little friends.
4. If it were not for these little birds, my life wouldn’t be so meaningful.
5. Only when we do something we find very interesting can we be truly happy.
6. It is time you forgot about selling only the things that sell well.
7. Without variety, a department store wouldn’t have any appeal at all.
8. But for the good judgment of purchasing personnel, a department store wouldn’t be successful.
LESSON 7 The Invisible Gorilla
1. conducted an experiment to see if animals could be cloned
2. failed to keep his promise
3. tricked his older sister into buying
4. Joe was unaware of
5. begged the question that if she was really married with children
6. distinguish Jim from his twin brother
7. is contrary to the teacher’s advice
8. Be wary of phone calls
1. (a) What is even more remarkable about that teacher
(b) What is more interesting to me is what they have done so far.
2. (a) you could have seen Lady Gaga
(b) He should have studied harder.
(c) They must have scored high on their final exams.
3. (a) while others like canned drinks better
(b) Some teachers teach English by using the Internet while others teach it in a traditional way.
4. (a) We are so busy here that
(b) Mark ran so fast that we couldn’t catch up with him.
5. (a) as she used to
(b) We have to finish the task as we were told.
6. (a) studying in this elementary school
(b) There are many students singing in the classroom.
7. (a) We are likely to;
It is likely that
(b) It is likely to be a rainy day tomorrow.;
It is likely that it will be a rainy day tomorrow.
8. (a) Watching TV is not allowed
(b) Working for Google is my dream.
1. C 2. B 3. C 4. B 5. D
6. A 7. B 8. B 9. D 10. B
11. D 12. B 13. D 14. D 15. C
1. must, have, seen
2. should, have, listened
3. contrary, to
4. Donating, money, to
5. is, likely, to, as
1. While public transportation in small towns is inefficient, it is efficient in big cities.
2. Houses located in big cities are so expensive that we can’t afford them.
3. What is far more important is that we have to wash our hands before we eat.
4. I got a terrible score on my math test. I should have studied harder.
5. What is even more surprising is that little Johnny can distinguish left from right.
6. What is more amazing is that they have even invented zero-emission electric cars.
7. they should have been shut down for the pollution they create.
8. although they should have reported this work as “replacement.”
Istanbul: The World’s Oldest International Metropolis
1. The school spared no expense
2. has been converted into
3. take over the company
4. replace the old employees with younger ones
5. bore witness to the rapid development
6. lies in diligence and confidence
7. one of the tourist spots
1. (a) I would establish an elementary school;
Were I a billionaire
(b) If I had had enough money then, I would have bought a house with a big yard.;
Had I had enough money then, I would have bought a house with a big yard.
2. (a) One, another, the other
(b) Some questions are very difficult, but the others are easy.
3. (a) It is likely that
(b) It is surprising that Jack did the job for free.
4. (a) As we study harder
(b) As we climbed higher, we felt colder.
5. (a) As human beings need exercise, so do
(b) As children need care and love, so do old people.
6. (a) was cut into six pieces
(b) The park was transformed into a hospital.
7. (a) is also known as
(b) As the only port of the country, the city plays an important role in the country’s international trade.
1. C 2. D 3. B 4. B 5. A
6. C 7. B 8. B 9. B 10. B
11. D 12. C 13. D 14. B 15. C
1. is, known, as
2. tourist, spot
3. were, converted, into
4. spare, no, expense
5. bear, witness, to
1. If I had not had a terrible fight with my sister, I would not have been punished by my father.
2. If Jack had enough money, he would invest in the stock market.
3. Some students enjoy reading while others enjoy traveling.
4. One passenger was seriously injured, another was killed on the spot, and the others were just slightly injured.
5. I think these people can all bear witness to what happened here last night.
6. another was a history research paper,
7.If she had started the assignments earlier, she would have been able to finish them by now.
8. If I had listened to my mother, I wouldn’t have wasted so much time,
The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde
1. made out by our boss
2. shot to death
3. We apologized for
4. breathed a sigh of relief
5. is almost identical to
6. It’s time to pay a visit to
7. searched in desperation
8. is nowhere to be found
1. (a) Despite the fact that the bottled drinks were polluted by harmful chemicals
(b) My father is deeply influenced by the idea that you get what you deserve.
2. (a) With a smile on her face
(b) With my bike missing, I had to walk to school this morning.
3. (a) leave the work undone
(b) It’s dangerous to leave the car unlocked.
4. (a) didn’t realize the importance of friendship until;
It was not until Ivy lost her friends that she realized;
Not until Ivy lost her friends did she realize
(b) Jim didn’t give Mary a call until midnight.;
It was not until midnight that Jim gave Mary a call.;
Not until midnight did Jim give Mary a call.
5. (a) that there would be no rain this week and that the dry weather would last
(b) Kevin said that he didn’t cheat and that he didn’t care about his test score.
6. (a) whatever is good for ourselves and other people
(b) We are not allowed to buy whatever we want to buy.
7. (a) upon hearing the bad news that he had lost the game
(b) We breathed a sigh of relief upon hearing the result of the game.
1. B 2. C 3. A 4. D 5. C
6. B 7. A 8. A 9. D 10. C
11. C 12. D 13. D 14. C 15. A
1. breathed, sigh, relief
2. the, belief, that
3. with, in, her, hand
4. Upon, return
5. apologizing, for
1. The little boy is looking at the cake with his mouth watering.
2. I am afraid that you have to accept the fact that you will have to go through your life without the company of your beloved family.
3. We did not find out we’d forgotten our passports until we arrived at the airport.;
It was not until we arrived at the airport that we found out we’d forgotten our passports.;
Not until we arrived at the airport did we find out we’d forgotten our passports.
4. My mother told me that my old bike was nowhere to be found and that I could buy a new one.
5. Despite the fact that Jack had apologized for being rude, his boss still didn’t want to forgive him.
6. Many of us know the fact that democracy is one of the least efficient political systems.
7. based on the belief that democracy is the best for humankind.
8. Are we better off with democracy as our political system?
“Live Each Day As If It Were Your Last”
1. show up sooner or later
2. had made an impression on me
3. fall away one by one
4. was recently diagnosed with
5. After the spelling check is buttoned up
6. the experience of living through
7. We were asked to clear out our rooms
8. to make way for those
1. (a) No matter where I go or (no matter) whom I meet;
Wherever I go or whomever I meet
(b) No matter how difficult the job is, John can always finish it on time.;
However difficult the job is, John can always finish it on time.
2. (a) as if he had received training
(b) Our school janitor, Paul, orders every student in the classroom around as if he were the teacher.
3. (a) Jeff was about to kiss his girlfriend
(b) Cindy said that she was destined to become a star.
4. (a) instead of giving them the answers
(b) Jack decided to give up instead of trying to solve the problems he had encountered.
5. (a) the most delicious cake that I have (ever) tasted
(b) Jane’s dog is the smartest dog that we have (ever) seen.
6. (a) no longer than two months
(b) The meeting will last no longer than three hours.
7. (a) I gave my parents a phone call as often as possible
(b) Contact your teacher as soon as possible when you need help.
8. (a) waste time worrying about what will happen
(b) Don’t waste time trying to persuade your mother to change her mind.
1. D 2. B 3. D 4. A 5. C
6. B 7. A 8. C 9. D 10. B
11. C 12. D 13. A 14. D 15. C
1. as, open, as, possible
2. most, experienced, teachers, have
3. Wherever, you, live
4. make, way, for
5. was, diagnosed, with, cancer
1. The story of Nick Vujicic is the most inspiring one I have ever heard.
2. Nick has lived through many hardships since he was born.
3. he always tries his best to figure out solutions whenever he encounters difficulties.
4. He sounds as if he were just like everyone else.
5. I can face my problems bravely and work hard to solve them as soon as possible.